Skip to main content

Program requirements, jobs, studying: What is political science? - By Michelle Pelletier


A profile piece on a political science major

Politics are a central part of every upstanding citizen’s life. Be it through voting, getting involved in municipal politics or signing a petition, everyone will eventually be confronted with political choices.
           Audrey-Frédérique Lavoie, a political science major at McGill, was kind enough to grant me an interview to answer potential questions a future university applicant could have. A Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf alumnus, she has been greatly involved in her community. Between managing the Cercle de la relève de la Fondation de l’Hôpital de Montréal pour enfants, Déjeun’aide – Breakfast with Leaders (a networking initiative for students and young professionals exclusively orchestrated by students) and closely working with Montreal’s Youth Council, Audrey-Frédérique is most certainly involved in her community’s wellbeing. She is currently on a student exchange at the SciencesPo university in Paris.
What with higher education being the next step in any young professional’s career, the immense array of choices offered to a potential university student can be rather daunting. It was not necessarily an easy choice for an involved young woman such as Audrey-Frédérique. What helped her choose political science?
“It was not an easy choice. As you know, I started studying business and then switched to polisci. I love history, writing, talking and negotiating with people. Quebec’s history and politics are also one of my core interests. As I have a lot of experience in political party organizing and in student, municipal and provincial politics, I thought that learning more about this interesting subject and better comprehending the political structure in which we live in would be of interest to me.”
Let’s start with the basics: what does a political science major encompass?
Globally, Audrey-Frédérique explains, it is a humanities branch that focuses on the study of political science, in which students learn, read and talk about different approaches and problems that political systems face as well as the clash between many different sociological, psychological and environmental point of views.
“Well, the program varies depending on which university you take your classes at of course. At McGill, there are four main branches. Firstly, there’s political theory, which is what I’m studying; it is more axed on philosophy. Then, there are the comparative government branch, the international relations branch and, finally, the international development branch.”  
Political science is an excellent gateway towards many jobs in the public and private sectors, but mostly within the public. It is a great opportunity to be exposed to politics early on in your career. Audrey-Frédérique says, “You need to participate a lot in your environment and be out there, put yourself out there. I would like to participate in municipal politics, of course, but later on in my career. I would love to work in parapublic or international relations. It’s hard to choose, but everything is interrelated! You can basically do whatever you want with that degree.” As an afterthought, she adds that communications, public relations, intergovernmental relations, administrative positions, international relations,  NGOs, and, of course, straightforward politics are go-to career choices.

Her favourite class so far is political theory, but she reluctantly admits that it’s starting to get rather difficult. “I’m scratching my head when presented with certain texts [pointed voice, then laughs], but what I really like about it is that it gives me a sense on how to critique texts. This class has made me realize that I don’t know anything about anything and has certainly opened my eyes to really different perspectives on many key issues.”
Her democratic theory class, (a deep study of democracies and their challenges) has also left a lasting impression on her. The many philosophers she reads (Tocqueville, Rousseau, Hobbes, and Aristotle to name a few) have radically different views which have broadened her horizons and shaped her academic path.
After being asked what and who inspires her, she pauses. “A lot of people inspire me. But I would say the people I’m with every day, especially my sister, who is studying to get into med school. She’s studying really, really hard! She’s a very perseverant person, she has a strong will and a lot of ambition, and I greatly admire her. I would add my friends too. They come from so many different backgrounds (psychology, business, political science, law), and I love them for their diversity and their different perspectives on life. On a more cheesy note, I would say Valerie Plante.”
On a lighter note, I asked her what she was watching on Netflix. “[Laughs, then gleefully admits] Definitely This is Us! I love the diverse relationships between the characters. It’s a great show.”
Audrey-Frédérique offers a piece of advice to any future political science student: “Do your readings, be up to date, especially at McGill! There is a crazy amount of readings (about a hundred pages per day on a good day), and a lack of discipline will show when it comes to submitting projects and writing final exams. Be perseverant!”

Michelle Pelletier 





Comments